WHAT IS SPEED LACROSSE™?
- SPEED™ is a pioneering new sport rooted in box & field lacrosse using attributes from basketball, hockey, & tennis.
- SPEED™ has been developed to exponentially raise lacrosse participation for both men & women.
- SPEED™ significantly reduces barriers to entry & makes becoming a lacrosse player simple.
- SPEED Lacrosse™ is the leading game growth catalyst in both the US & abroad.
- SPEED™ focuses on lacrosse’s core fundamentals while raising the bar for diverse, multi-sport athleticism
- SPEED™ increases long-term player retention at all ages & skill tiers.
- SPEED™ is a health & fitness “lifetime” sport, a unique product set, an organizational Affiliate program, & a player insurance/membership system.
- SPEED™ is an amazing experience.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED WITH SPEED™?
Join SPEED™ as a player member to enjoy playing opportunities.
Join SPEED™ as an Accelerator and earn money by hosting SPEED™ leagues and events. Contact us at [email protected]
Follow us on social media & join our mailing list at www.speedlacrosse.com.
We’ll keep you aware of the growing national SPEED™ events schedule-grab four (4) friends & come play in an official SPEED Lacrosse™ event.
HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF PLAY?
The 1/2X10™ SPEED Formula
- All players are moving non-stop when on the “court”– there is no waiting-standing or walking in SPEED™.
- No player or team is limited in possession of the ball by a specialized face-off player.
- All players touch the ball frequently.
- All players pick up ground balls, cradle, pass, catch, dodge, shoot, score, & defend on average ten (10) times more than in a traditional lacrosse game – all this in half (1/2) the amount of time – this is SPEED’s™ 1/2X10™ formula.
- All players learn to play defense with their feet first & rely on fundamental lifts & stick checks.
- All players come to better understand core offensive principles – Pass, Pick, Pop, Cut, Replace, Overload, Shoot
- Field/box goalies that play SPEED™ come to better understand the offensive mindset.
- All players come to understand team “help & recover” defense as well as first/second defensive slides & recovery.
- All players come to understand the mindset of a goalie.
- SPEED™ matches constantly present uneven or broken situations for players & spectators.
- SPEED™ can be played co-ed & is equally for girls or boys.
- The terms “select” & “elite” shall not be seen or heard in SPEED Lacrosse™.
- There is tremendous opportunity for the development of stick skills, fitness, foot speed, communication, & field IQ.
- A SPEED Court™ is forty (40) yards long by twenty (20) yards wide.
- Boundary lines found in a SPEED Kit™ reel out & reel back in, no traditional lining of fields.
- Three four (4) SPEED Courts™ fit comfortably on one (1) traditional lacrosse field.
- SPEED™ can be played on any surface – sand, grass, synthetic turf, basketball court, asphalt / concrete.
WHAT IS A SPEED COURT KIT™?
- A SPEED Court Kit™ is roughly the size of a full lacrosse equipment bag (backpack) & weighs less than 41 lbs.
One (1) SPEED Court Kit™ includes:
- Two (2) SPEED Lacrosse™ 3’6” x 3’ 6” modular steel SPEED Cages™
- Two (2) SPEED Lacrosse ™ branded Crossbar Slip Nets™
- One (1) match marked & SPEED Lacrosse™ branded Court Boundary-Line Reel System™
- Twelve (12) Official SPEED Lacrosse™ Balls
- One (1) SPEED Lacrosse™ branded Carry Sak™
- Additional Court branding accessories are COMING SOON to the SPEED online ProShop
IS THERE A MID LINE IN SPEED LACROSSE™?
No, therefore there is no off sides – like box lacrosse. There are no on court lines besides the court boundaries.
WHAT IS THE GOAL SIZE?
The SPEED Cages™ are 3’6” x 3”6” .
CAN YOU GO BEHIND THE GOAL? IS THERE A CREASE?
Yes – goal lines are five (5) yards from the end lines & there is no crease.
WHAT IS TOTAL GAME TIME? DO WE PLAY QUARTERS OR HALVES?
There are three (3) six (6) minute periods – similar to hockey- & two (2) minute breaks between periods.
DOES EACH POSSESSION HAVE TIME LIMITS?
Yes, there is an arbitrary “stall” warning & then a fifteen (15) second shot clock. There is a fifteen (15) second shot clock in the last two (2) minutes of each period. SPEED™ is a fast game. Pace in not an issue.
HOW DO YOU WIN A MATCH?
Whichever team scores the most goals in a period wins the period. First team to win two (2) periods wins the match – similar to tennis scoring. Each period starts with a 0-0 score. A third “training period” is frequently played should a team be “closed out” at the end of the first two (2) periods.
IS THERE A FACE-OFF AFTER A GOAL? IF NO, DESCRIBE HOW THE BALL IS AWARDED?
Crosse (stick) flip determines initial period possession. The start of each period possession then alternates. There is a change of possession after each goal — ball starts at your opponents at goal line extended where you “circle the cage” – somewhat similar to basketball.
HOW IS A TIED PERIOD ADDRESSED? SHOOTOUT? BRAVE HEART? EXTRA TIME?
A tie in any period is settled by an instant shootout – much like hockey – ultimately, there are no ties.
IS SPEED™ PHYSICAL? ARE THERE CHECKING RULES? WHAT ABOUT SLASHING?
SPEED™ is low contact – think basketball.
You can apply equal pressure to an attacking player, you may check the crosse (stick), lift check the hands & box out.
You cannot check down on the hands or check the arms at all & there is no cross checking when applying equal pressure.
There are no checks above the shoulders & no “swim” dodging.
The rules of SPEED Lacrosse™ are incorporated under three (3) broad “fouls”:
- Sportsmanship (a major).
ARE THERE ANY RULES UNIQUE TO SPEED LACROSSE™ WORTH NOTING?
WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR NUMBER OF PLAYERS, SUBSTITUTES?
Only three (3) players from each team are allowed on the court–there is a max of two (2) subs per team. Incoming players must wait for substituting players to exit thru the “substitution zone”. There are no specialty positions – no full time goalie, no long poles, & no face-offs.
ARE THERE REFEREES?
Yes – a single Court Guard™ resides in a chair at mid-court in the substitution zone. The Court Guard™ administers possession, fouls, timing, & scoring.
Sanctioned events also utilize two (2) line judges (see SPEED Court™ diagram above).
HOW ARE PENALTIES ENFORCED? WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF PENALTIES?
Yes – five (4) fouls of any kind results in “fouling out” of a match – like basketball.
Fouls result in :15 seconds of time served in the penalty box located adjacent to the Court Guard™.
A “sportsmanship” foul is considered the lone major foul & is a one (1) minute un-releasable foul & counts as 2 (two) fouls towards “fouling out”.
Any player ejected for excessive breach of sportsmanship sits out their following match.
WHAT IS THE BALL LIKE?
The ball is three (3) ounces & made of high density, soft foam rubber. The ball is most like a tennis ball but one (1) ounce heavier for ball carrying, passing, & shooting feel.
The ball is relatively safe – like a tennis ball.
WHAT STICKS ARE ALLOWED?
Standard NCAA regulation short sticks – no long poles or goalie sticks.
DO YOU WEAR ARM PADS?
Optional sleeves or “soft padded sleeves” for arms.
DO YOU WEAR GLOVES?
Optional “receiver style” or “batting style” gloves.
WHAT DO YOU WEAR ON YOUR FEET?
Grass/Turf – No metal cleats allowed. Player shall play in rubber molded cleated shoes or turf shoes.
Asphalt/Concrete – Players shall play in soft rubber soled athletic shoes.
Gym Floor – Player shall play in non-marking athletic shoes..
Sand / Beach – No cleats allowed. Players may play barefoot or in soft rubber soled athletic shoes, water swim shoes, or neoprene booties.
Sunglasses, eyeglasses, or SPEED™ safety glasses are permitted.
You can wear hats or visors in addition to eyewear.
There are no helmets worn in speed – like basketball or soccer.